COLLECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
What kinds of personal and sensitive information are collected?
In the course of conducting business, First Degree Commercial Refrigeration will only collect and retain personal information that you provide that is reasonably necessary for, or directly related to, one or more of our functions or activities or is permitted by law. Personal information is information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable.
The kinds of personal information First Degree Commercial Refrigeration collects include, but are not limited to:
• Names, addresses, email addresses, phone numbers, business details and other contact details of members and their staff;
• Contact information;
• Other information relevant to customer surveys and/or offers
• Photos and identification documents;
• Credit card and other payment/ bank details;
• Information about an individual’s employment, occupation and services rendered;
• Information in relation to an individual’s studies and/or training history;
• Records of contact with the individual.
The Company will only collect and hold sensitive information (information about an individual’s race, ethnic origins, political opinions, membership of trade unions, criminal records and health information etc) if the individual consents to such collection and if it is reasonable necessary for, or directly related to, one or more of First Degree’s contracts or where it is required by law. For example, First Degree Commercial Refrigeration may require information about ethnic origins or preferred languages for training purposes.
￼How do we collect personal information?
First Degree Commercial Refrigeration only collects personal information by lawful and fair means. Generally, personal information will be collected from the individual or their authorised representatives. Personal information may also be collected from third parties to whom First Degree Commercial Refrigeration or the individual engages to provide services to the individual or First Degree Commercial Refrigeration in relation to our business relationship with the individual.
First Degree Commercial Refrigeration may collect personal information by third parties not mentioned above, or publicly available sources but only in the event that it is impracticable to obtain the personal information from the individual.
Examples of how First Degree Commercial Refrigeration may collect personal information include, but are not limited to:
• Events and training, including enrolment forms;
• Phone contact with customers to clarify and update information on database;
• Research in relation to policy issues;
• Employment queries and applications;
• General engagement with individuals in the course of conducting our business.
Unsolicited personal information
If First Degree Commercial Refrigeration obtains personal information without requesting the personal information (‘unsolicited personal information’) and the personal information could not have been lawfully collected under the APP’s, the personal information will be destroyed or de-identified if it is lawful and reasonable to do so.
Notification of collection of personal information
Subject to the APP’s, if First Degree Commercial Refrigeration acquires any personal information from a third party as mentioned above, we will only hold that personal information if it is reasonably necessary for, or directly related to, a function of First Degree Commercial Refrigeration.
As soon as reasonably practicable after obtaining information from a third party, or obtaining unsolicited personal information about an individual, we will notify the individual about the nature of the personal information obtained, the purposes of collection, the use and disclosure of that information and information about this policy and our policy procedures.
Purpose for collecting personal information
First Degree Commercial Refrigeration collects personal information to enable it to provide services to the individual and the individual’s business, and to fulfil other legal obligations.
Such services include:
• Supplying, marketing or acquiring products and services; responding to individuals’ enquiries and feedback; providing information about our new products, specials and services that may be of interest to individuals; maintaining a relationship with individuals;
• market research, surveys, and product and service development, so that we are able to better understand our customers’ needs and tailor our future products and services accordingly;
• performing general administration, reporting and management functions. For example, invoicing and account management, payment processing, risk management, training, quality assurance and managing suppliers;
• employment-related purposes, such as recruiting and providing services to staff; and
• other purposes related to or in connection with our business, including meeting our legal and contractual obligations to third parties and for internal corporate governance purposes. ￼
The company will generally tell the individual the purposes of collecting the information prior to, or at the time it collects the personal information.
USE AND DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
First Degree Commercial Refrigeration will only use your personal information for the purposes it was collected (as mentioned above), or related purposes, and only where the personal information is relevant to the use. Personal information may be disclosed to internal staff of First Degree Commercial Refrigeration, and other third parties engaged by the individual or First Degree Commercial Refrigeration to provide services to the individual or First Degree Commercial Refrigeration in relation to our business relationship with the individual.
Third parties may include:
• Parties engaged by us to provide products or services. For example, processing payment information, managing databases, marketing, training and advertising;
• external advisers, for example where disclosure is reasonably required to obtain advice, prepare legal proceedings or investigate suspected unlawful activity or serious misconduct;
• members of the public, such as when referring work; and
• other parties or for other purposes as agreed to by the person, or as required or permitted by law.
Personal information will not be used for purposes other than those described above (and related to those above) unless you have consented to that use or it is permitted by law.
First Degree Commercial Refrigeration will not use or disclose an individual’s sensitive information unless it is reasonably necessary for, or related to, one or more functions of First Degree Commercial Refrigeration and the individual has consented to it.
Direct Marketing use and disclosure First Degree Commercial Refrigeration may use and disclose individuals’ personal information to provide individuals with information about our products and services that we consider may be of interest to the individual. An individual may contact us during business hours (see ‘how to contact us’) if they wish to opt out of receiving further marketing communications and offers. All direct marketing communications will provide an opportunity to opt out from receiving further communications of this nature. No sensitive information will be used for direct marketing purposes.
QUALITY OF INFORMATION
First Degree Commercial Refrigeration will take reasonable steps to ensure that the information we collect, hold, use and disclose is accurate, complete and up-to-date. First Degree Commercial Refrigeration relies on individuals to advise us of any changes or corrections to the information we hold about the individual. An individual is able to contact us (see ‘how to contact us’) and ask for the correction of personal information we hold if the individual believes the information we hold is inaccurate or incomplete.
SECURITY OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
First Degree Commercial Refrigeration takes reasonable steps to keep personal information protected from loss, misuse and unauthorised access, modification and disclosure. We use a variety of physical and electronic security measures including restricting physical access to our offices, firewalls, appropriate encryption and secure databases.
When personal information that we collect is no longer required, we will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify the personal information.
￼ACCESS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
An individual may contact us (see ‘how to contact us’) to access the personal information that we hold about the individual. We will respond to such a request within a reasonable period after the request is made. There are occasions where this access may be denied under the exemptions contained in the Privacy Act. If we deny access in some circumstances, we will advise the individual why we have denied such a request. No fee applies for requesting access to information we hold about individuals. However, we reserve the right to charge a reasonable fee where we do provide access.
CORRECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
An individual may also contact us (see ‘how to contact us’) to correct the personal information that we hold. We will deal with your request within a reasonable period after the request is made. We will take all reasonable steps to correct that information and ensure that, having regard to the purpose for which it is held, the information is accurate, up-to-date, complete, relevant and not misleading.
MAKING A COMPLAINT
HOW TO CONTACT US
For further information contact us during business hours at:
First Degree Commercial Refrigeration
The Office Manager
1/29 Holland Street
Thebarton, SA 5031
Phone: 1300 73 44 63
Fax: (08) 8152 0602
Issue Date December 2015 Authorised by B. Perry Issue No￼ 4 ￼
Policy Number FD15 ￼
Review date Feb 2019